Monday, December 14, 2015

Stars!

This time of year is tough for me. With the clouds and the rain that come this time of year, and the short days... it feels dark ALL the time! But, a girl's gotta blog. If I wait until spring to blog about projects, I'm just not going to remember! And so I go with crappy, poorly lit pictures. Which is a shame, because this is such a bright and happy quilt!

Rainy Day Stars, front view

The design is "White Stars" from Julie Herman's book, Skip the Borders. I changed it up just a bit with a 9-block layout instead of 12 in order to keep it a more baby-friendly size. Mine ended up at about 48" square.

I didn't follow the instructions in the book, instead opting to use the "No Waste" method for Flying Geese blocks (as shown here). I had to do a little math to figure it out, but it saved sooooo much time and fabric. And it worked like a charm.

Rainy Day Stars, back view

I knew I wanted purple and grey (I used Kona Shadow) and that I wanted to use this pattern. As I was looking about my local quilt shop, I came across a happy fabric with little animals with umbrellas from David Walker. When I saw that, it inspired me to pull the aqua and pink to coordinate. Then I used that cute animal print on the back. I love how it all came together!

Rainy Day Stars, quilting detail, back

I spent a lot of time quilting this one. I was very influenced by the quilting on the sample in the book, which was quilted by Angela Walters. I chose to use a paisley-type filler to give lots of texture to the solid fabric stars (from the book, Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Walters). Then I again took inspiration from Walters's Craftsy class, "Dot-to-Dot Quilting" and used that to create some motifs in the surrounding blocks. Throughout I used Aurifil 50/2 thread #2600 (Dove).

Rainy Day Stars, quilting diagram

I wish I was able to get better pictures of the quilting... I was having a tough time getting any decent pictures that day, so I'm thankful even to have gotten these. I've gone ahead and attempted to draw in my quilting design on the photo above so you can get an idea. (Thankfully, the quilting looks MUCH better on the quilt than my feeble Paint Shop Pro drawing skills indicate!)

Rainy Day Stars, label

And the label. Baby's papa commented how glad he was that there were care instructions included on the label. He seemed in a bit of disbelief as to how his 3-week old baby manages to require so much laundry. I had to laugh at that. :P

Rainy Day Stars, side view

Hopefully little Penelope will enjoy snuggling with her new quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment