Saturday, January 31, 2009

Jane Stickle Quilt: J-2

Jane Stickle block J-2Block number/name: J-2 “Picture Perfect”

Date completed: January 30, 2009

Number of pieces: 15

Notes on block: Somewhere I messed up when cutting this one out. None of the outside bars (or the long inner bar) fit—they were all 1/8” shorter than the units they were supposed to connect with. I think I must have messed up the squares somehow. But, since I threw out my cutting notes, I’ll never know.

Typically, with the pieced blocks that have simple shapes (squares, rectangles, certain triangles), I not only print out templates from the software, but I also look at the recommended “Rotary Cutting” directions. Then I pencil in those measurements onto the templates. With triangles, I use the measurements to cut out my initial piece, and then use the template to ensure exact size. But I’m lazy with the squares/rectangles. In this instance, it would have been good to double-check myself with the templates on those. With the larger pieces inside being squished to fit the shorter pieces outside, I ended up with a block that ballooned in the center. Doh!

Fortunately, the iron is my friend, and I was able to press the block into pretty shape. One might even say it is now "picture perfect." (Sorry... I couldn't resist!)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Robin,
    I would like to transmit you a Kreativ Blogger -award. You give me a lot inspiration with your blog... Thanks;))) Love your green DEAR JANE SOOOO MUCH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your Jane Stickle blocks. I so enjoy making my one block a week.

    ReplyDelete