Thursday, February 11, 2010

Jane Stickle Quilt: BR-12

Jane Stickle block BR-12Block number/name: BR-12 “Jessie’s Stained Glass”

Date completed: February 10, 2010

Number of pieces: 19

Notes on block: This is one of those blocks where finished is definitely better than perfect. I looked at the block in the original quilt vs. Brenda’s draft, and decided that I really liked the look of the original. I liked that there was more color and I thought the little diamond dipping into the bottom section was kind of cool. So I did a little drafting.

BR-12 redraftedWhen I redrafted, I attempted to do it without changing the entire block (because I’m lazy). It resulted in a changed middle area (the areas outlined in the dark pen), but the top and bottom sections were left the same (the ones in pencil). Just from my draft, you can see that it wasn’t perfect, and that imperfection translated pretty perfectly into a finished wonky block. And that little dippy diamond gave me fits! It was mostly stitched and then that little point was appliquéd. I also had lots of fun trying to get the bottom section attached (it’s actually stitched on one side of the dippy diamond and then appliquéd on the other).

In the end, though it doesn’t look great now, I think it will work fine in the quilt. Phew!

5 comments:

  1. Interesting approach in completing the block. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see anything wrong with this block. This is a good example of how if you don't tell no one would know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this block. When I grow up, I want to make a Dear Jane too, lol. Have a Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful! I love the dipping diamond.

    ReplyDelete