Sunday, March 30, 2008

Dear Baby Jane: B-1

Dear Jane block B-1Block number/name: B-1 “Batchelor Buttons”

Date completed: March 30, 2008

Number of pieces: 5

Notes on block: This week I bought some mylar circle templates. The closest-sized mylar circle was 1/8” bigger than the block circles. But, after trying to cut out my own freezer paper circles (I just am not good at cutting circles out), I decided to go ahead and just do the buttons at a bigger size. The technique was a new one for me. I followed the tutorial from Susan Brubaker Knapp. The product I used was different than hers, but it worked pretty well, I think, even if my circles aren’t perfectly round (but I think next time, I can do even better). I then appliquéd the circles onto the background and trimmed away the fabric underneath so it won't show through.

Though I like how the block came out, I can’t help but compare it to the book, and I start thinking my buttons are too big. But then I think to myself, they’re my buttons and it’s going to be my quilt. So, the big buttons stay.

1 comment:

  1. Your exactly right, its your special quilt! Jane's original is just a starting point for our own creations. Your shop hop looks like so much fun. I think they are having one here next week but a lot smaller, we have only 8 shops in this part of the state. Your block looks great. So you did traditional appliqué? Not reversed? I'm a little nervous about tomorrows block, but it's all about learning right. Have a great Sunday. Love Stacy

    ReplyDelete