Thursday, March 6, 2008

Class: Reversible Embroidered Quilt

Last night was the first class in making a "Reversible Embroidered Quilt." The class is at Bernina Northwest. Unfortunately, it's a little ways from where I live and traffic was not my friend, so I got there a half hour late. On the bright side though, the instructor was very understanding and welcoming. :)

After going to class, I'm even more excited about this project. Many of the techniques are new for me, and I'm anxious to see how it all comes together. The project is a large crib/small lap size quilt, made in a quilt-as-you-go process. This will result in a reversible quilt, with both front and back having blocks and sashing.

African Bargello
I've only ever tried one other quilt-as-you-go project (my African Bargello quilt, pictured above), and I was not thrilled with the results. But this class is featuring a version of the technique that works on a block-by-block basis, as opposed to piecing the quilt together on top of a completed back—so I won't have the same issues with dealing with the awkwardness of piecing on a big ol' background, or with funky folds appearing as I sew.

I'll be using my embroidery machine to do the quilting (it is the "reversible embroidered quilt" after all). I'm also looking forward to doing a binding by machine (I've always used handstitching to finish my bindings).

Another nice thing is that we have 2 weeks between the first and second class meeting. Having this extra time will be very helpful. Now I just have to finalize my fabric selections and get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment