Friday, June 25, 2010

Jane Stickle Quilt: TR-6

Jane Stickle block TR-6Block number/name: TR-6 “Carla’s Candle Flame”

Date completed: June 24, 2010

Number of pieces: 22

Notes on block: At the June quilt guild meeting I heard a speaker talk about her method for machine appliqué. It is essentially a freezer paper and starch method that can be used just as easily to prep pieces for hand appliqué. I gave it a try on this block and am really happy with the results. That tiny melon looks so regular and truly melon-like compared to previous ones! Though I’m lazy at heart and still prefer needleturn as my appliqué technique of choice (as there is very little prep work involved), I have to say that this new method is awesome for those itty-bitty regular-shaped pieces, or for a set of pieces that need to be uniform in size/shape. I’m definitely planning on using it again in the future (in the next block, in fact!).

1 comment: