Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Dear Baby Jane: F-5

Dear Jane block F-5Block number/name: F-5 “Parcheesi”

Date completed: June 2, 2008

Number of pieces: 17

Notes on block: This one was difficult for me. But I think it was more a mental block than anything else. I spent lots of time trying to get my head around how I would put it together. In the end, it worked out fine, but there were challenges to it. I went ahead and used Anina’s suggestion of piecing most of it and then using reverse appliqué for the melons. The basting was tricky because I chose to do all my basting first—and then I ended up with the fabric from one melon basted under another. So I basted again, this time being much more careful. Then the seams from the squares in the corners were peeking into the melons, and I was having to try and scootch them aside as I did the points while trying to keep my points looking closed and pointy. Thankfully, I was pretty successful (except for one point).

My husband looked at the completed block and commented that he thought this was his favorite so far. So really, I’m feeling pretty good about it.

2 comments:

  1. This one looks great! Very impressive. I haven't done it yet, but I'm sure it will give me fits, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your block looks great. I didn't reverse applique mine like this so it was messy looking. And I was not taking the time I should have. Oh well. Thanks for noticing I didn't take the points off my columbine block! I just could not make myself sew a block with all the points cut off. It just seemed like it was wrong to make a big mistake on purpose! I have enough problems with my mistakes that I don't intend to make.

    ReplyDelete