Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Dear Baby Jane: G-7

Dear Jane block G-7Block number/name: G-7 “Indianapolis”

Date completed: September 7, 2008

Number of pieces: 21

Notes on block: Sigh. I went about this one in a completely wrong way. I started by piecing the two outer corner corners together, and attached each of those onto the left side of an outside edge. I pieced each inner bar to the left side of each pie shape. Then I pieced each pie to an outside edge. And then I realized that I would have to use set-in seams for the center little square. Oops. I made this block so much harder than it is. I should have just done it Anina's way with reverse applique. So much smarter! On the bright side, the block didn't turn out horribly. So I'll use it (probably). Finished is better than perfect after all. (And the further I get in this quilt, the more I actually believe that!) It's just I know that I could do so much better. And it's the center of the quilt. So I may revisit it at some point.

Last night (September 8) my husband's grandfather (the Boy's great-grandfather) passed, just two months shy of his 90th birthday. It wasn't unexpected, though it came sooner than anyone thought it would. It is a very sad time, but at least he was surrounded by family and love when it happened. My son isn't likely to remember his great-grandfather, but I feel so fortunate that they got to spend some time together over the last year and a half. And even with all the grief of great-grandpa's passing, the boy was still able to bring a smile to his great grandmother's face yesterday—a blessing, I think.

4 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful block, I would leave it and enjoy it ... but that's just me. ;) Sorry about the great-grandfather passing, and it is a blessing that they were able to spend time together and enjoy each other's company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will pray that your family finds comfort through this loss. Children are a blessing and it's nice to hear that they were able to spend some time together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its good to have memories of our parents/grandparents that pass and keep them alive in our homes with pictures and things. Just today one of my younger daughters expressed some sadness about her grandmother dying when shew as too young to really know her.

    Your block is lovely. I wish it was mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very much in love with this block. The coloring is subtle so I did not notice it on the Flickr group until today. I think you did a spectacular job with the fabric choice and keeping the plaid straight and I love all the things that happen with your fussy cuts. I'd vote to keep it . . . but then, I'm redoing a number of my blocks, a little at a time.

    ReplyDelete