Block number/name: E-1 “Aunt Exie’s Phlox”
Date completed: June 29, 2008
Number of pieces: 5
Notes on block: For this block I tried a different method of appliqué. I usually do needleturn with freezer paper on top. This time, I tried the method Anina demonstrated for this block. She used freezer paper underneath and then it acted as both guide and (temporary) glue to iron the seam allowances down. What I really liked about this method is that after the pieces were prepped, the appliqué went very, very quickly. I also felt like I had a lot more control at the points, resulting in pointier points (though still not perfect). On the downside, this method involved a lot more prep time, and I don’t think the time saved in stitching made up for it. In any case, I am happy with the result, and I think the method was successful enough that I’ll be using it again.