Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Jane Stickle Quilt: LS-12

Jane Stickle block LS-12Block number/name: LS-12 “Button Hook”

Date completed: October 26, 2009

Number of pieces: 24

Notes on block: I am feeling a solid sense of accomplishment now that I’ve finished this block. The tiny little appliquéd diamonds, and the fact that I did some redrafting (so as to have a solid triangle at the bottom just as in the original block, instead of a pieced one as was in the book/software), caused me to feel rather intimidated. So much so, that I actually procrastinated starting for a few days. Tonight I decided to go for it.

I started by doing the appliqué on a rectangle of background fabric. I did needleturn using freezer-paper on top, and I finger-pressed along the stitching lines first (which I think made a big difference). After stitching, I used a template for the top section and a print-out of the full-size block to help me align the diamonds and cut the top section to the appropriate size/shape. The printout of the block had the diamonds positioned to the right of the seam just below. On the bright side, my diamonds are to the right of center, just as in the diagram. On the downside, in the original block, they were lined up directly above the seam. Ah, well. Overall, I’m still really happy with the block. Yay!

3 comments:

  1. Good job! I noticed that the bottom was one piece but I did not notice the rest. Good eye :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful! Sometimes giving it a few days is all you need.

    ReplyDelete