Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Jane Stickle Quilt: TRC

Jane Stickle block TRCBlock number/name: Top Right Corner “Longwood”

Date completed: February 1, 2010

Number of pieces: 48

Notes on block: There were some challenges along the way in putting this one together. The first was I had no idea how big it was. The Dear Jane software automatically defaults to 4.5” x 4.5” when printing. So you have to manually adjust it for all of the triangles and corner blocks (known as “kites”). But I could not find anywhere exactly how big it was supposed to be. I finally just decided on 8” x 8” as that seemed kind of logical (since all of the surrounding triangles are 8” tall). I feel pretty confident that I’ve got the size right, but I guess the true test will be when I put my borders together. This block just feels so huge compared to the rest!

Another challenge was the appliqué. Stars are not my favorite shape… too many narrow pointy-points! But, I feel like they turned out alright. I did them by needleturn with freezer paper on top.

The last challenge was that I mis-cut my white star section. It ended up being kind of a lopsided square. Fortunately, I was able to compensate when I pieced it into the block, but it was definitely a pain.

Hopefully, my next kite will go a little more smoothly!

5 comments:

  1. My jaw is on the floor! This looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am kind of scared to start mine lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks incredible! I said "no way" when I saw it on That Quilt, but I know I will be really mad at myself in the end if I don't make the triangles and kites. You did an amazing job on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! And your star points are excellent!

    ReplyDelete