Block number/name: A-6 “Uncle Homer”
Date completed: March 18, 2008
Number of pieces: 9
Notes on block: Gah! Just after writing about my last block and my confidence with seams… This block finished at about 5 1/8” for me. Fortunately, I found my trusty 5” Dear Jane square ruler and was able to square it up and trim it down pretty evenly (unlike my last attempt at trimming down, without said ruler). I really love this green fabric. I didn’t even realize I had it until I was thumbing through my stash, looking for a new background fabric. Happy surprise! And this is my first block using a different background as well. Not that anyone is likely to notice but me, since it is such a subtle change from the other background. But I really like the idea of mixing up the background fabrics—or at least, using variations of the same type of white-on-natural. This might partly be because I don’t have enough of that original background to do the whole quilt. It was another one of those moments where I thought, “I’ll get started and if I like it, I’ll buy more!” Since I didn’t really even get going on the quilt until 4 years later... well, so much for that idea.