Block number/name: A-7 “Dad’s Plaids”
Date completed: March 14, 2008
Number of pieces: 8
Notes on block: I don’t know what it was about this block. Technically, it didn’t seem like it would be too bad—straight seams, no weird shapes... but yet, I had a very difficult time with it. Not so much with the sewing (though I really need to learn how to do better appliqué points), but with the prepping. Anina’s block turned out so beautifully, and I really loved the way she utilized her directional print (just as Jane Stickle did in her original block). I wanted to replicate that. And it felt as if it took forever! I think I spent close to an hour prepping this block. Which, as I’m writing now, doesn’t seem like that long, but yesterday—when I was feeling overwhelmed and when I was actually doing it—felt like a very long time indeed.
Last night was Bunko. It was my first hosting gig. So nervous! But, after lots of over-preparation and a couple glasses of wine, it was a lot of fun. Once everyone left, I was able to start work on my block. I think it was about midnight when I started basting. (Another first—I’d never basted before, but after seeing how it worked in Anina’s example, I gave it a try. It worked really well). I had to stop right around 2 because I couldn’t see past all my yawning. At that point, I was three leaves down, one to go (plus a few straight seams). I was able to complete it pretty quickly tonight after Logan went to bed. I think it turned out pretty well.
I’m feeling really proud about my seaming, because it ended up at 5” square and I didn’t do any marking. All of those hexes I’ve been piecing have really given me some great practice! But I definitely need to research how to deal with appliquéing outward points… they just aren’t as, well, pointy as I’d like them to be.