Monday, January 5, 2009

Looking ahead to Christmas 2009!

*Gasp!* Yes-- that's right. I'm thinking ahead to the 2009 holiday season, along with lots of other quilters and crafters, thanks to Nanette and Cheryl. Like me, they found that they had stress because they started on their holiday crafting later than they should have. It just sneaks up on you! So, they have come up with a wonderful concept:

handmade Christmas 2009 button
Great Ideas for a Handmade Christmas, 2009!

The idea is to share crafty gifty ideas, both ones that you've made in the past that have worked, as well as ones that you'd like to try. All these ideas/tutorials/etc. will be compiled together in a handy-dandy list for quick reference. So then, come September, we'll be ready to start crafting.

Here are some of my initial thoughts about potential gifts for next year:
  • Coffee cozy-- I found this tutorial last year via the Sew, Mama, Sew! Blog. I loved it then, and I still love it. Maybe this year I'll even manage to make some.

  • Child's Coloring Wallet-- I bought this pattern on etsy from JCasa. It is a fabulous pattern, with clear directions and lots of helpful illustrations. And the finished product is awesome! So awesome, that I actually have made 12 of them so far (and I'm sure there will be more in my future).

    Child's Coloring Wallets
    And not a scrap of fabric was purchased for these-- it all came from my stash. (Yay!) They were initially going to be Christmas gifts, but because we decided not to do a holiday gift exchange, I'll be giving them to our toddler friends for birthdays and other events throughout the year. And, just so you know, these fit an 8-pack of Crayola washable triangular crayons perfectly! (The triangular shape is supposed to help encourage proper crayon/pen grasp.)

  • Gift baskets-- If you haven't checked out Pink Penguin's wonderful tutorial, you need to.


    Not only did I make one for a gift exchange, but I was also the proud recipient of one. So I can assure you, from personal experience, that these baskets are special and wonderful. I am definitely planning on making more of these for gifts.

  • Scribble Ornaments-- How cute are these??? It looks like a lot of fun, and my toddler will be old enough to be a super helper for something like this next Christmas. This one is definitely on my to-do list.

Over the next few months, I'm sure I'll find lots more to share. The procrastinator in me definitely needs this. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment