Friday, April 17, 2009

My Quilt Festival Entry

This is Megan's Butterflies.

Megan's Butterflies, front
The quilt was a gift to my sister-in-law, Megan, for Christmas in 2001. The evening I gave the quilt to her, my husband asked her what kind of quilt she would like to get someday. She responded, "Oh... something very traditional, maybe red and white." I nearly blanched. Ack! Well, I figured, it was too late for that-- she was gonna get rainbows. :)

This was my first original design, created all by myself with my imagination and some graph paper! (Can you tell I'm proud?)

Megan's Butterflies, detail 2
Megan loves fairies and butterflies, and at the 2000 Quilt Festival I picked up some nifty batik butterfly squares (the ones in the border). For a long while, I was stymied as to what to do with them. But after making my first couple of bargello quilts, inspiration hit. I chose the colors for the quilt from the batik squares, and the design just kind of flowed across the paper. It came together very quickly.

Megan's Butterflies, back
The other fun aspect of the quilt for me is the back. I pieced the back using the remnant of fabrics from the front, as well as the last butterfly square, and another beautiful butterfly batik. I then used the pattern on the batik and quilted the design from the back-- so on the front you see lots of butterflies seemingly randomly fluttering about.

Megan's Butterflies, quilting detail

And, the label:

Megan's Butterflies, label

(I apologize for the pictures... I don't have the originals anymore, and I couldn't take new ones as Megan is currently gallavanting about New Zealand.)

If you have the chance, try to check out the other entries in the Blogger's Quilt Festival (if you click on the link and scroll down a little, there are links to all the participants). There are some amazing quilts and many wonderful stories out there. So inspiring!

28 comments:

  1. I love Bargello's. Yours is gorgeous. One of these days I will make one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your original design. The fabric is beautiful and so are the butterflies fluttering about. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is stunning! I gasped when the picture came up! I made a bargello once. Hmm... Apparently I like them :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt! I think your sister in law likes these colors too :-) You are one talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow!! i love how it looks like there is movement!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this quilt! It’s so beautiful and the backing is just another quilt! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great job of creating movement and balance in bargello. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A present that I am sure is cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. FABULOUS! what else can I say?
    I am loving this festival there are such amazing quilts to view

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to make one of those quilts one day. Your version is beautiful. I am hoping to enter the "quilt show" this week sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's 2 quilts in 1 - both are beautiful! I love the pattern you created - I hope your sil loves it too :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how colorful your bargello is.Wonderful Job!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful quilt. The colors are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bargellos are so stunning - I love the colours you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is so stunning! You made a great pattern and a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful bargello! I love bargellos as well, they just sing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been wanting to try this technique. I love yours. It turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning! Absolutely stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great design you did! But the comment she made before she saw the quilt made me laugh. Talk about your heart sinking!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I ove love love these colors! how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful bargello. I love your choice of fabrics! Way better than red & white.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete