Saturday, May 7, 2016

"Watch the Clocks"

The top for this quilt was completed in 2014. I finally got it quilted last fall. Then it took two months to get the binding and buttons sewn. But-- it was technically completed just before the new year:

Watch the Clocks, front

The quilt is from a kit my husband gifted me in 2013 from the Fat Quarter Shop. Though the fabric is no more, the design is still available as a free project from Windham Quilts and is called "Tick Tock." I call my rendition, "Watch the Clocks."

Watch the Clocks, quilting detail

Pardon my dark and dreary pictures. My front hallway in the darkness of winter is not very photo-friendly.

Watch the Clocks, another detail of quilting

Since it involved only simple piecing and fusible applique, this was a super quick and fun quilt to put together. In fact, I constructed nearly all of the top one morning during a quit-the-day-away event I attended.

Watch the Clocks, yet more quilting detail

It took awhile before I decided how to go about quilting it. I kind of wanted to create a feeling of gears running behind the clock faces. I think the wavy-line-circle design running across the background captures that pretty well.

Watch the Clocks, hanging tabs

Since the hanger I intended to use is closed, I needed to devise a plan to be able to take the quilt on and off of it. I decided on simple buttonhole tabs sewn in with the binding and placed the buttons on the back. It works quite well.

Watch the Clocks, back

And the label.

Watch the Clocks, label

We have a beautiful grandfather clock in our hallway, just across from where the quilt hangs. It is a happy pairing!

No comments:

Post a Comment