Friday, May 6, 2016

Warm Welcome: "Small Checks"

Whoa. It has been awhile! Frankly, not a lot of crafting has been happening here thus far this year. But I seem to have a backlog of finished projects from the end of 2015 that I haven't posted yet-- so let's just start with that.

Small Checks, front view

This 42" square quilt is from the book, Warm Welcome: Cozy Quilts for Baby by Mary Hickey. The design is called, "Small Checks."

Small Checks, another front detail view

I started on this quilt last May, but found myself struggling with fabric choices. I'm still not thrilled (the checks are so washed out color-wise that the piecing is lost), but considering my decision to leave the check-framed blocks as-is (rather than re-do them), I think it turned out as well as could be expected. And towards the end of the year, I finally managed to finish up the project.

Small Checks, front detail

The quilting is inspired by an Angela Walters Craftsy class, "Dot-to-Dot Quilting." I am really happy with how the quilting worked out in this one. Yay!

Small Checks, back detail

All of the quilting was completed using Aurifil Mako 50/2 thread. I used two different colors: 2710 (Ice Blue) and 2130 (Pale Yellow).

Small Checks, back view

The back is pieced from scraps. I actually like the back better than the front! (As I said, I struggled with fabric choices on this one.) There is no label on this one as it is destined for donation.

Small Checks, another view of the front

This week I have been busy taking pictures of other finished quilts to share. I am determined to get caught back up with my blogging!

3 comments:

  1. Good to see you back! Nice work on the quilting!! I have that Craftsy class, but I haven't watched it yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you back! Nice work on the quilting!! I have that Craftsy class, but I haven't watched it yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm happy to finally have some energy and motivation for crafting (and blogging) again.

      The Craftsy class is really good-- she has a lot of great ideas. I just finished quilting another baby quilt where I used a design inspired by that class! I am totally an Angela Walters fangirl. :)

      Delete