Having fallen a little behind on my Autumn House BOM, I've only just now finished block 5, "Main Street":
This is the center block of the design, and it is a biggie: 18" x 18". I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. (Just ignore the slightly crooked house on the right!)
I tried out a tip from Janet at Quiltsalot: I used a tiny drop of Fray Check on the inside points of the birds' wings before clipping the seam allowance (had I known about the tip earlier, I would have used it in lots of other places too). It worked great! And I just now read that basting glue works just as well and will wash out completelyso I'm definitely going to try that next. If you haven't read Janet's recent posts on how she does applique, you should definitely check it out. They are full of great information, tips, and fabulous eye candy!
Another bit of fun: I learned a new embroidery stitch for this blockthe chain stitch (used to create the trunk of the pumpkin tree). I think I did pretty well for my first attempt.
And now I'm only two blocks behind. Progress!