Monday, March 23, 2009

Quilting along: sashing shortage

Alexander Henry, Traffic JamI felt so certain that I had 2 yards of this fabulous Alexander Henry print (Traffic Jam). But in reality, I actually only have 1.5 yards (some of which I've already cut for other projects). The Quilt Along fabric requirements suggest 1.75 yards. Ooops!

Well, not one to be swayed from my vision by something as small as lack of fabric, I've come up with a plan. I had already resigned myself to having to piece my sashing and borders since I have a directional print. So, now I'll just have a little more piecing to do.


Here's my plan:

quilt along cutting plan
The red "X" is the chunk that has already been cut out. The 3 long strips will be for piecing the outside vertical borders. The 12 strips will be for piecing the horizontal sashing and borders. Then the shorter strips will be for the vertical sashing. All together, I'll have just enough for the top. Unfortunately, I won't have any to use on the back of the quilt. But I can live with that.

I think this will work. I really, really HOPE this will work. Wish me luck!

2 comments: