Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Cinnamon goodness

Last week I hosted my PEPS group's weekly meet-up. Usually, when I host, I bake. This time was no exception. But the item was definitely exceptional: Cinnamon Chip Scones.

For years, my favorite baked treat at Starbucks was their cinnamon chip scone. I bought one nearly every day with my daily mocha (one of the dangers of working next door to a Starbucks). I have always wanted to try making my own cinnamon scones. I think I even tried once, but they just couldn't hold a candle to the "real" thing.

This last holiday season, I was at the store and saw some Hershey's Cinnamon Chips on sale in a baking display. I snatched them up in an impulse buy, not really sure what I would do with them. On a whim, I tried searching for a recipe. Google worked its magic and found a recipe that caught my attention. But the referenced page no longer existed. Thank goodness for the Google cache! The recipe came from a bed and breakfast in Arkansas, the 1884 Bridgeford House. I swear, if ever I visit Eureka Springs, Arkansas, I am sooo staying there! Why? Because I am crazy in love with these scones. Tender, sweet, full of cinnamon spice— and better than Starbucks.

Unfortunately, the recipe seems to be gone into the ether, not even available via Google cache anymore. So I can't link to it. I can only expound upon its goodness. Yum.

The funny thing about it is that I don't think any of my guests tried one. It worked out though, because if they had tried them, I would not have had the same amount of happy goodness later. More for me! Mmmm... Now I just need to find a store that sells the chips year-round so that I can make more.

No comments:

Post a Comment