Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Block do-over

Success!

my do-over Moda Building Blocks block 8

This time, with focused attention to accurate 1/4" seams and using the "no-waste flying geese" method (which meant less bias edge contention and increased accuracy), the finished block measures 18.5". And I like this turquoise fabric even better. So it is a win!

Meanwhile, I am nearly done with a sequin tank top made from the failed dress parts. A little bit of hand stitching and some hems to go. I'm feeling the garment bug right now, so I think I'll focus on clothing for a bit. I've traced a few patterns and look forward to getting some cutting done soon!

5 comments:

  1. Looks great! What was the finished size of your flying geese? I've been mulling over this block all night and it just seems to me that the FG are going to be just a hair wider than the center square. Am I missing something. I like to make my FG a little bigger and trim to size, but I'm having a tough time figuring out to what size they need to be trimmed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiff! So sorry it has taken me so long to respond. March. Blah. Anyway: mine ended up at 4-1/2" x 2-3/8"-- so 4" x 2-1/8" finished. Which seems like a weird measurement? But they worked!

      Here's wishing you some success on your geese!!!

      Delete
    2. Doh! Wait! So the finished measurement above is correct (4" x 2-1/8"). Unifinished is 4-1/2" x 2-5/8".

      Clearly, math is not a superpower I have.

      Delete