I bought the beautiful border-print knit from Gorgeous Fabrics last summer with the intention of using it with this pattern. (It took me a year, but at least I finally got it made!) For the skirt lining, I used a nude-colored polyester interlock I bought at Hancock Fabrics.
I cut a size 16, and made a couple of adjustments to the pattern, based on the reviews I read:
- Lengthened the bodice by 1-1/2 inches.
- Lengthened the skirt by 2 inches.
- Omitted the ties at the neckline (I have cats and a preschooler... long ties just aren't practical for me).
- Omitted the separate casing pieces at the waist-- I opted instead to stitch down the seam allowance where the skirt and bodice are joined and used that as the casing.
- Ignored the cutting instructions for the skirt pieces so that I could take advantage of the lovely border on the fabric.
This was actually a very easy dress to put together. I'm kind of kicking myself that it took me so long to get around to making it.
I love that it is something I wear anytime. It is comfy enough for everyday wear and I can still dress it up for an occasion with the right shoes and accessories. I really think I will get good wear out of this project and I can totally see myself making another dress like this if I find the right fabric for it.
Hip-hip-hooray for a happy new dress!