Sunday, September 22, 2013

It's time!

After spending the last few months really focused on UFOs and finishing projects, I finally decided that it was time to start something new. Woo! I've actually started two new projects-- one small, one big. In this post, I want to focus on the smaller one:


I decided to join Wild Olive's Autumn Stitching Club! It is $8.00 to sign up for this serial project featuring hexagons and cute little embroidery designs. I love fall, and a small project like this just sounded super appealing-- so I signed up! I get to look forward to an email every week during the months of September, October, and November that contains a piece of the project. So far, I have received the main instructions (fabric requirements, etc.) and three designs. At this point, I have managed to stitch up one of them and the second is in progress.


Autumn Stitching Club, block 1, scarecrow

These are tiny! The fabric is cut 4-1/2" square. The embroidery design is only about 2" tall. But look at the cuteness! As a bonus, this is a great scrap project-- I was able to find all the fabrics I need in my stash. Yay!

Autumn Stitching Club, block 2 in progress

Mollie recently posted a hint regarding the use of sticky-backed water-soluable stabilizer for embroidery. You trace your pattern on the stabilizer and then stick it to your fabric; it offers both nice clear lines as well as some firmness to the fabric, making embroidery a breeze. I've done that with the first couple of blocks, and really appreciate the extra stiffness the stabilizer gives to the super-soft and slippery linen. I'm finding myself really enjoying stitching these up.

Small + simple + autumn = happy.

Oh, and you need to check out this cute little pumpkin spice latte design from Mollie! Love.

1 comment:

  1. I went to that blog the other day and saw the beginnings of the little project. I look forward to seeing each block. They look super cute so far.

    ReplyDelete