I don't have the earliest design drawings, but these were the last ones. My goals:
- Echo the organic symmetry of the print fabric (which was also captured so beautifully by Kris in her flying geese border).
- Use the designs of the print fabrics to inspire the shapes that I would use.
- Utilize some of the open space left in Kris's border to help create a sense of flow from hers to mine.
- Make it look cool.
I did it on freezer paper since that was the only paper I had that was big enough. Once I had it all drawn out, I used it to trace freezer paper templates for all of the leaf and flower shapes. I also created lots of bias tape to use for the vines. This was my first time trying out a continuous bias creation technique (I used a tutorial from Make It Modern and a video tutorial at Erin Compton Design as my guides-- both were super-helpful). It was a little bit labor-intensive, but it worked really well and I didn't have to cut a large diagonal swath from Anne's fabric-- I only had to cut off a small chunk (I think I used 1/3 yard). And there is a ton of bias left over (whoops!). So I guess if anyone else decides they want to do vines, some will be ready for them!
I started by reverse appliqueing the centers of the bulb-flowers.
Then I needleturned all of the leaves and the other flowers to the background. Next I added the vines. Lastly, I added the base of the white flower and the bulb-flowers at the ends of each vine.
This was my first time designing and executing an applique border and I definitely learned a couple things.
- Don't use so many points! There were a lot of pointy-points in my design-- the leaves, the ends of the bulb-flowers, the petals on the white flowers... I'm not sure what I was thinking there as I'm not very good at executing pointy points. But, they got done (albeit, they maybe aren't as pointy as I'd originally intended).
- Create the border wider than needed and then trim down after completing the applique. I didn't do that, and my border is a little wavy because I pulled the fabric a little tight at some spots as I worked. It shouldn't cause a problem for Zonnah (who is adding the next border and has mad skillz), but I'll definitely keep it in mind for future projects.
And the big reveal:
Yay! I think it turned out pretty cool. Hopefully, Anne will like it too.