Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hop to It: "Rose of Sharon Wreath"

I'm a little bit behind on my Hop to It project, so it feels extra good to actually finish a block. Hopefully next month I'll have time to make two blocks and get myself caught up again.


It's so strange... whenever I'm picking fabrics for my blocks, I feel like I'm picking a nice array (varying scales, a range of light to dark, different colors)-- but then I finish the blocks and they end up feeling kind of dark. Don't get me wrong. I still think they are very pretty, just darker than I expected. That's okay though. At least I'm consistent so the blocks all go well together. It was just a kind of weird realization.

Anyway, this was a fun block to work on. I was a little worried about getting the curves to all work together and look similar, but tracing a very light line on my background fabric in pencil to use as a placement guide worked well.

I also came to a decision on this block. This quilt has a number of blocks wherein there are a number of symmetrical elements. This block kind of had that in the repeating motif around the wreath, but in other blocks it is even more pronounced. With this in mind, I was kind of thinking it would be good to do some prep work to make sure all of the like pieces stayed exactly alike. This put me in a dilemma because what I really enjoy doing is needleturn, which I've learned, for me, is not conducive to exactitude. Then while working on this block, it occurred to me that there is nothing wrong with imperfect symmetry. It is okay to have a more organic look to my blocks if that's what I'm into. And I am into that. So that's what I'm going to do.

It's cheesy, but I kind of felt like a little weight had been lifted off my shoulders concerning this project and that made working on this block even more fun. Now I'm really looking forward to tackling the next block and seeing how it comes together.

7 comments:

  1. I think it looks beautiful! Boy if it is not pretty well symetrical you would not know it unless it is pointed out to you! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, Robin, and I think you should do it the way you want. If it's for you, then who cares? If it's for someone else, believe me, they will be so in awe of your work that they won't be measuring things to see if they are perfectly symmetrical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! That is a hard hurdle to overcome. Perfectionism is a struggle for me as well. The quilts that we all love, like the dear jane, are not perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful!!! It kind of has an Asian look. Your work is always perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your thought process and agree!! Your blocks will have a more free flowing feel to them making them individual :) Great job - your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fabrics you used. The flower itself is so pretty and I love the blue leaves in the center. Very pretty. I will have to do two blocks next month because I have not worked on mine at all this month. My facilitator will be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete