Monday, November 3, 2008

Dragon Boy and other things

Wow! Quilt Festival was amazing! This was not my first time, but every time I go it is inspiring and wonderful. It was made extra special this year because I got to visit with my friend Mikki and make some new friends. As always, the judged show offered tons of inspiration and incredible eye candy. I also enjoyed some of the special exhibits, particularly the Daughters of the American Revolution quilts (some dated back to the 18th century!). And, of course, the shopping was spectacular and I spent way more than I should have.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures to share from Festival because I left my camera at home. Since I was missing Halloween at home, I felt like I'd much rather have pictures of the Boy than a bunch of quilts.

Speaking of the Boy, here he is in his dragon costume:

dragonboy
I made it using Kwik Sew pattern 3099. The pattern includes a dinosaur, a bear, a bunny, and a lion (all of which are very cute). I used the dragon view and combined it with the belly from the other views. The black is just polar fleece and the lavender parts are made from crushed panne velvet. Because I decided to use the panne for the belly and scales (instead of the fleece the pattern suggested), I gave it some stability and stiffness with fusible fleece. I also added seam allowances around all of the scales, cut two of everything, and then sewed right sides together and turned so that all of the edges would be finished. Ridges were quilted onto the belly to make it look more dragon-belly-like. The tail was partially stuffed with poly-fil to give it a little body. The only other modification I made was to shorten the arms about an inch or so.

dragonboy profile

I was feeling all proud because I finished it two weeks early (so very unlike me!). But I couldn't figure out why it was still looking so dinosaur-like. I woke up one morning with an epiphany. What is the difference between a dinosaur and a dragon? Wings!

dragon wings
I drew a shape, traced it onto tissue paper and used it as the pattern. Again, I used fusible fleece on one side, but on the other I used super-stiff fusible Peltex. I sewed right sides together on three sides and turned it right side out. Then I used strips of the black fleece and sewed it on like a binding to cover the raw edges. Then I sewed velcro strips onto the costume and the wings so that they would be removable (as I didn't think they'd work so hot in the car seat).

dragon wing back side
If I had it to do over, the only thing I'd change would be to sew the velcro on before I sewed the front and back of the wings together. That way there wouldn't be stitching showing on the outside of the wing. Other than that, I'm really happy with how the costume came together. I think he's the cutest dragon-boy ever!

3 comments:

  1. That is sooo cute!!! Love the little dragon wings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!!! THAT IS FABULOUS! :)

    ReplyDelete