It was a productive weekend! I managed to get two projects cut and sewn. Woo! Today I'm going to focus on the less successful of the two, the Style Arc Ann-T Top.
Style Arc is a pattern company I've had my eye on for quite some time. They create patterns that reflect very current fashion trends (many inspired by celebrities) and have a reputation for excellent pattern drafting. However, they are in Australia and shipping to the U.S. is quite spendy and they only sell single size patterns, which made me hesitant to invest not knowing how their sizing would work for me. Then I saw they were having a limited time offer in conjunction with Gorgeous Fabrics, offering their Ann-T Top as a free download if you sign up for their newsletter (check it out here!). Score!!! Not only that, but in addition to your requested size, they send the size above and below as well. Double score!!!
Here's my finished top (with apologies for the fuzzy pics... I seemed incapable of taking a clear photo today):
I cut a straight size 12 and did no alterations. The fabric is a rayon/lycra jersey from Fabric.com ("Arianne Stretch Slub" they call it), very lightweight and super stretchy. The description calls it brown, but it is definitely more mauve than brown to me.
Overall, it is not bad. I rather like how it fits, and the side rouching is a nice detail. But I had a tough time working with this fabric-- it just didn't seem to want to do what I wanted. I also struggled with technique. The directions are sparse and there is no detail to any aspect of construction. I should have looked up a video or something to help me with the side rouching, but I just kind of went for it with clear elastic, and it is not awesomely executed.
The neckline also has issues, as you can see in the detail pic above. Me and neckline stabilization! Ugh! This time I tried a clear elastic all the way around. But I put it on the band, so it is a) super obvious and b) touches my skin. Not sure what I was thinking there. Also, I seemed to be incapable of sewing an even seam along there, so some parts of the neckband are narrower than others. I stitched and re-stitched three times in some areas and finally decided it was good enough. But I'm not happy about it.
On the bright side, there was definitely some learning with this one! Next time will be better. I am envisioning stripes...