Thursday, August 19, 2010

A little bit of applique

I've been working on catching up in my Moda Greenpiece BOM.

Block 16:

Greenpiece applique block 16
A happy little flower.

Block 17:

Greenpiece applique block 17
The fruit blocks are some of my favorites in this quilt (watermelon, pear, apple, and now a peach). I'm not crazy about the colors in this peach (a little over-ripe maybe). But, my palette is pretty limited, and these colors seemed to work the best.

Block 18:

Greenpiece applique block 18
I used the freezer-paper starch technique I've been playing with recently to create the moon-shape and I'm pleased with how well it worked. But I'm not sure what I was thinking when I did the stem. I really should have embroidered it. I guess I just wanted to see if I could actually needleturn that super-narrow stem. And I did it, but it probably would have looked better to just embroider it. There was also little bit of freak-out when I went to put on the petals and they were falling off the edge of the moon, but I made it work. Overall, I really like this block. It is just so serene looking.

These were the "June" blocks (in quotes because, though I received them in June, I didn't actually start them until a few days ago). Tomorrow, I'll show you the ones from July. This week there has been an applique frenzy!

5 comments: