Sunday, January 31, 2010

Another year...

Another round of birthdays for our toddler friends! Last year, my go-to gift was the JCasa Child's Coloring Wallet. This year, I've decided to go with aprons/smocks.

Abigail's Apron patternThe pattern I'm using at the moment is called "Abigail's Apron" by LadyBug Bay Designs (a local designer from Woodinville, WA). I really like it because it is fully lined/reversible, has pockets, offers full front and back coverage, and is easy to put on and wear. It is also a really easy, quick to construct design. My only problem with the instructions is that they call for hand-sewing in some areas. So, after making it once as per the instructions, for my most recent versions I figured out some changes so as to avoid all hand sewing.

The most challenging area to figure out what to do with was the shoulder area. The instructions have you sew a partial seam when stitching the linings to the outer pieces (one for the front, one for the back). Then you join the front and back together along only the outer shoulder seam. The shoulder is then finished by handstitching the lining shoulder seam closed, thus enclosing all of the seams inside.

Abigail apron modified shoulder seam close-up
My solution: instead of hand sewing the lining, I did a zig-zag. It's maybe not the prettiest solution, but I think it is a nice strong finish, and it doesn't involve handwork. Woo!

Anyway, two of our toddler friends have birthdays right about now. So, over the course of the last week, I made a couple of aprons for them.

Kassie's apron:

Kassie's apron
I just love that happy Lila Tueller bird print. So cute!!!

Jackson's apron:

Jackson's apron
For Jackson's, I was a little concerned about the girly-factor of the ties. But, in the end, I decided I really liked the simplicity and adaptability of the ties. So the only change I made was to make the ties blunt-ended, as opposed to the ribbon-looking 45° angle called for in the pattern. I think it works pretty well.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it looks girly at all :) Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look GREAT! Well done!

    Just found your blog and I'm so glad I did! I LOVE crafting and completely agree with you about it being an oasis! Not a day goes by when I'm not creating something! :)

    ReplyDelete