Monday, December 29, 2008

Festive feasting

Today we had our family holiday feast. The roads were such that my parents weren't able to make it, but my in-laws were able to brave the slushy ick (their car did get stuck, but we were able to dig them out). A good time was had by all! The menu:

Herbed Rib Roast with au Jus
Gratin Dauphinois
Quick Glazed Carrots
Green Beans with Toasted Hazelnut-Lemon Butter
Buttermilk Biscuits
Rosemary Dinner Rolls
New England Cranberry Duff
Vanilla Ice Cream

I failed to take any pictures of the spread (by the time it's all ready, all I'm thinking about is eating!), but I did manage to snap a picture of the dessert:

cranberry duff
The cranberry duff was very simple to make, and very tasty—a wonderful blend of sweet and tart (and excellent with ice cream). However, the star of the meal was the prime rib. It was gigantic and, despite its tasty goodness, we barely made a dent in it. But that's okay. I was able to send a couple of ribs home with my in-laws, and we will be having some seriously awesome leftovers over the next few days. The gratin potatoes were also delicious. Truly decadent, but every bite just melted in our mouths. Yum!

We also exchanged gifts, so now I can show off one of my handmade presents:

passport cover
This is a passport cover I made for my sister-in-law. She just graduated from the University of Washington and is taking off in January to travel the world and work on organic farms for a year (through the organization, World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms). Giving her "stuff" wasn't really an option this year. But something portable, practical, and cute? Ideal! I made it using the simple, wonderful passport sleeve tutorial by bunnybum. The outside is onasburg cotton, and it's lined with a Michael Miller black and white pindot. I added the applique on the outside to liven it up. A U.S. passport fits perfectly inside. She really seemed thrilled with it.

1 comment:

  1. i love love love that applique! nice work. thanks for mentioning my tutorial. i am so happy it working out so well for you and your sister!
    thanks again.
    jess

    ReplyDelete