This was my ironing board this morning:
Ick. I know. So I decided it was time to do something about it. Of course, I could have followed one of the many tutorials out there (like this, this, or this). But why would I do something simple and smart like that? Sigh... Yes. I decided to wing it. So, what really ought to have taken less than an hour took me at least 2 (plus a trip to the fabric store for some cording, because nothing I had was working well).
On the bright side, this is my ironing board now:
Really, what I decided to do was to make a cover for my cover. Despite the wear and nasty burnage, I really liked how the original was padded and how it fit so snugly. So I created a cover to go over that one with a couple additional layers of batting for some fresh cushion.
It took time (and no small amount of angst), but now that I've tried and failed a couple of times, I've got a method that will work for me in the future and come together much, much faster. It should look a lot prettier next time around too.