This one worked out MUCH better, thank goodness!
The fabulous kitty print sequin mesh fabric is from Gorgeous Fabrics. For the lining, I used a 70 Denier Poly/Lycra jersey knit in "Kona Coffee," also from Gorgeous Fabrics. I think they paired pretty well.
I cut a size large and lengthened it by 2", adding at the Shorten/Lengthen mark. While I didn't do anything else with regards to alterations for fit, one major change I did make was to fully line the top. I used the instructions from Vogue 1351 as a guide for lining, including the handstitching at the shoulders to finish the lining and then understitching the neck and arm edges (as shown in the detail pic above).
After the dress, and seeing this top, I am beginning to think I need to try adding a swayback adjustment to my repertoire. I think most of my me-made clothes have the excess fabric at the lower back-- but the sequins exaggerate the issue to the point where I am definitely going to research it for projects in the future. Because why have pooling fabric if I don't have to?
A couple of other construction changes were to stabilize the shoulders with nylon stay tape, and then the neck edge with fusible knit stay tape (I used the "Extremely Fine Fusible" from SewkeysE-- it is pretty snazzy stuff!).
In order to keep the finish on the outside as clean as possible, I used a double-sided fusible tape to secure the hem. I used my cover-stitch machine to hem the lining.
A few things I learned about sequins in this process:
- They don't drape so hot.
- They are on the delicate side and if you rub against them too hard (or are not careful enough putting on your coat), they can come off.
- Also, they are not exactly comfy to wear... the edges of the garment definitely chafe.