Friday, February 25, 2011

Once 'Round the Country

A few of us who participated in the Snip.Sew.Send. virtual quilt bee have joined up again for more fun. This time, we're going Round Robin style, Once 'Round the Country!

Each of us is making a center block. Over the course of the bee, everyone will add borders to each of the center blocks. By the end, each of us will have a completed top. I'm so excited about the possibilities!

I had a tough time deciding what direction I wanted to go with my center block... modern? traditional? intricate piecing? applique? I finally ended up with this:

happy pink and orange Dutch Rose block
It is a take on a pattern sometimes called "Dutch Rose" or "Carpenter's Wheel." The traditional version involves lots of diamonds and inset seams. I went for a simpler version using half-square triangles using a pattern from McCall's Quilting to make my 12" block. It's not at all my usual thing (if I could even be said to have a usual thing). But I definitely love how it turned out!

fabrics for round robin
My fabric palette consists of a selection of fat quarters from Patty Young's Sanctuary collection from Michael Miller as well as an array of coordinating Kona solids (1 yard of Snow and 1/2 yard each of the others). Seriously bright and happy. Definitely pink and girly. With orange! I'm obsessed with orange lately.


stack o' fabric
I have no plan for this, no direction to give. I'm just going to trust in the creativity of Zonnah, Adrienne, Anne, and Kris and see where their whims take it. It is going to be so exciting to watch it grow!

10 comments:

  1. That is a lovely block. I love the colors. What a fun group project to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great block. I look forward to watching it grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab block choice and you've chosen lovely colours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love this! The colors and the pattern are stunning! I can't wait for my turn with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Round robins can be fun. Love your center block. Great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait, Robin! The colors and fabrics are just so beautiful and your block is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore this block! The colors and piecing and everything. I see you did your signature fussy cutting in those print squares!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it too! Orange is a great colour and I look forward to the end result. It is going to be very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I know what I am going to do! I played with my color pencils and graph paper last night :)

    ReplyDelete