Friday, January 25, 2008

Maybe not so deceptive...


...but pretty tasty ("delicious" might be stretching a bit). Thus far, I have made three recipes from Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook, Deceptively Delicious.

The Chicken Nuggets were not at all deceptive. I used broccoli puree, and the nuggets were pretty much green. But-- they were very tender, and I did like the flavor (nothing special flavor-wise, but it was good). They were even tender enough for me to give some to my year old son. His first chicken nuggets! And he actually seemed to like them, too!

Next up was the Spaghetti Pie. Again, broccoli puree, but also carrot. The end result was very tasty. But it looked nothing at all like the picture in the book. The pie was juicy and saucy, and there was no "crunchy crust" as the book claims. So I was a little disappointed in that, but still pleased with the flavor. And my husband thought it was great.

Finally, I tried the Gingerbread Spice Cake. This one was actually a little deceptive-- there was broccoli and carrot puree ("Enough with the broccoli puree!" was my husband's response), but with all of the spices, neither flavor stood out. Mainly, I think they just helped to make the cake moist. Not my favorite spice cake, by any stretch; in fact, it was not particularly cake-like (more bread-like in texture... denser, heavier than cake). But I do like how healthy it is. The only fats: 1/4 cup of canola oil and 1 egg. And it included a mix of whole wheat and all-purpose flour (so a little bit of whole-grain goodness there). Of course, then we topped it with ice cream and caramel sauce. So much for "healthy"...

No comments:

Post a Comment