Monday, October 13, 2014

Kitty Check

In my quest to find my missing mojo, I decided on a quick quilt project to get me going.

Kitty Check, front

This is from the Me & My Sister Designs book, Crazy for Baby, and is called "Teething Rings."

Kitty Check, front detail

Mine is a little different from the one in the book. I decided to add a couple of blocks to lengthen it a bit. I also had to narrow the borders so I could efficiently manage the directional print in my fabric. The main fabric is a woven plaid embroidered cats. It ended up being tricky dealing with this fabric and ensuring every cut stayed along the design lines (so much for my "quick and easy" project!). But it worked out in the end! And the fabric got super soft after washing .

Kitty Check, detail of border block

I quilted the plaid kitty sections with a stipple and then tried to get a little fancier in the block border with some feather-ish action. All the quilting was completed using Aurifil Mako 50/2 in Violet (2520).

Kitty Check, back texture

The fabrics all came from stash, including this wild purple print I chose for the backing.

Kitty Check, back

My mom is not in good health. She is currently in a care facility and misses home and her cats. And her favorite color is purple. So I gave this quilt to her.

Kitty Check, label

Hopefully, it will offer some small comfort. If nothing else, it made me feel good to make it for her. There's lots of love in this little quilt!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure she will love it! Prayers for her health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your mom. I know the quilt probably cheered her up. I love the feathers in the purple blocks.

    ReplyDelete