And here is the third project for me:
This is Simplicity 3754, view F (the shortest). It is actually the second time I've made this pattern (last time, I did view E). Back when I made the previous version, I said I wanted one in corduroy. Now I have it!
The striped corduroy was initially purchased a couple of years ago to make a pair of pants for Little Bear. But the fabric just kept calling to me-- I just love these colors! Unfortunately, I only had about 7/8 yard. So I had to do a bit of Franken-skirting.
I cut the waist/yoke from a solid brown corduroy-- technically, it doesn't really "match" since that color of brown is nowhere in the main fabric. But it seems to work okay nonetheless. But I didn't have enough of that to do the yoke facings, so I found a quilting cotton in my stash that matched pretty closely. And then the pocket facings are made of yet another quilting cotton. It is a motley skirt, for sure!
This time around I made a size 16. After reviewing my notes from last time, I decided to omit the binding along the top edge of the pocket. But, I forgot to add a little to the top to make up for the seam allowance I had to take, so I feel like the pockets sit a little lower than I'd like. But, I think they look okay still. The only other change I made was I used some hem tape. The skirt is so short, I didn't want to take a full 1-1/4" hem. Using the tape allowed me to turn up less fabric, putting the skirt at a length that works for me. It is the first time I've tried applying hem tape, so I found a tutorial and just went for it. It is definitely not perfect, but it accomplished what I wanted and the hem is extra pretty on the inside. Yay!
After three successful projects for me in a row, I'm feeling really motivated to make some more! But, the holidays are upon us, and I do have a couple of projects I want to complete before Christmas. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to some more sewing for me in the New Year.