Thursday, June 4, 2009

Too much?

This month's block exchange block left maybe a little too much freedom for me! It was pretty much anything goes. (If you're interested, you can read about how the block exchange works.) The box included a fat quarter of this fabric:


The blocks are going to become a calendar quilt. She provided a baggie with a different theme fabric for each month. My month is May and the theme is flowers. The instructions were pretty much make whatever block you want (12.5" unfinished) using the fabric provided as a basis of the theme.

After much procrastination, deliberation, and maybe even a little frustration (the task was made a little more difficult because I don't really like the fabric that much), I finally chose a block from my Electric Quilt software and then set to work.

SH's block
I didn't make it easy on myself, choosing a block with lots of pieces, applique, and inset seams. And then (because I had to include the theme fabric somehow!) I cut out motifs and did some more applique. On the one hand, I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. On the other, I wonder if maybe I didn't make it flowery enough. In any case, it is done. Hopefully, she'll like it!

6 comments:

  1. I think it's absolutely lovely! You went to SO much trouble and it shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure if she was that free in her instructions, she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That came out so nice. You really spent a lot of time and thought into this and it shows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing block! It proves us how talented quilter you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you did a great job. She should like that block very much.

    ReplyDelete