Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Bee in my bonnet

A friend invited me to go garage-saleing with her a few weeks ago. Having never done anything like that before, I joined her. It's a lot of fun! I've been out with her a few times now. Most of the time, I don't find much... mostly clothes for the boy. But last week I went to a fabric/craft garage sale and found some nifty stuff (I apologize for the horrible picture... I'm still learning):

Friday fabric finds 7-25-08
Included are 5.5 yards of great vintage-looking cottons, a yard of lovely green woolen, a quilting hoop (now I just need to learn how to hand quilt!), five black zippers, and a package of 1.5" calico charm squares from Keepsake Fabrics. All of this loot for the bargain price of $15.25!

Since then, I've been obsessing about that little package of charm squares. I've just felt this need to do something with them. Now. So, with the blocks of my Star Quilt Along quilt sitting on the floor taunting waiting for me, I found myself cutting and sewing something completely different. I ended up with this:

Pink 'n' Blue top
Pink 'n' Blue! The pattern is from the book Bits and Pieces: 18 Small Quilts from Fat Quarters and Scraps by Karen Costello Soltys ("Americana Nine Patch," pages 29-31). I used some stash fabric for the background and border and nearly half of the little charm square package. It is 21.5" square. I was really excited at how quickly it came together (it definitely helped that all the little pink and blue squares were already cut).

This is my first attempt at a small quilt. It is so cute! I don't know what I will do with it once it's completed, but I'm sure something will come to me before it's done. It's tempting to try and do some hand quilting on it since it is a small project. But I don't really know how to do that, and I have no idea when I'd actually get around to doing it. So, I'm thinking machine quilting might be the way to go.

2 comments:

  1. Great finds! And holy cow that little blanket is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat to find fabric at a garage sale. And what a cute way to use the charm squares!

    ReplyDelete